It all began at AWFS 2007 at the first BSRA National Championships

This was originally posted in 2007 prior to the 2007 AWFS show, and this event is now held every-other year at the AWFS show in Las Vegas.  We took second place in 2007 by 9/100 of a second, so we our efforts described here did pay off.
We have to some improvements in our minds that we'll share, so check back and get in the race!

(Revised July 2013: We won in 2013!  Click HERE for details.) 

Accuride Inc, a famous drawer slide manufacturer, announced that they would be sponsoring a Belt Sander Race at the AWFS show, which is held every-other July in Las Vegas. In fact, they've formed the the Belt Sander Racing Association, or BRSA to support and promote this exciting sport. I've had a secret desire to get involved in this ever since reading a back cover article in Fine Woodworking many years ago on Belt Sander Racing, so when our drawer slide Product Manager encouraged me to get into the race it didn't take much prodding. Along with another Product Manager, Daniel, we plan to enter the race in the only scoring class at this event, which is the Modified Class. Here's a link to a pdf file on the rules and regulations.

I'm a bit surprised at how little information about this is on the web. There are a few videos on Youtube, including one from an Accuride rep whose sander got whooped, (Sorry Chris, but you got "Eclipsed".) and a few local groups who hold regular races have simple sites with a few photos, but other than that I've been unable to locate any "build sites". So in the interest of posterity and the advancement of the craft I will share with you almost everything that we learn along the way. I say ALMOST everything, because the competitor in me still wants to have a little advantage on race day! I make one promise: I will not provide inaccurate information. This can't be said for a few competitors who I've spoken with, who have tried to send me down the garden path with downright deception. I'll share all that I can and will remain silent on the rest. Fair enough?

Here's a photo of the foundation of our racer: A Makita 9403 which I snagged on Amazon for a great price. My research uncovered that this sander is the fastest stock sander, with 1650fpm (feet per minute). That fact alone makes this a great choice if you are racing in the Stock Class. Seeing that the track is 75' long, and for simplicity let's just figure that it reaches full speed instantaneously, (I wish) that means that this sander theoretically could cover that distance in 2.2 seconds. Now, obviously it will have to build-up to full speed, and there will be some time loss due to slippage between the belt and the track and even between the belt and the drive roller, but this is still a good start.

5 comments:

Patent Place USA said...

Sure thing, Oliver. Thanks for asking. Scott

Patent Place USA said...

It all comes from up "here". (Pointing to noggin) Why do you ask?

Patent Place USA said...

Peter, which link are you referring to? Thanks, Scott

lindy said...

I need info on how to attach the riggers on my sanders...anyone?

lindy said...

I need help attaching the riggers to my sander...anyone?